Job #2017-23: Probationary Firefighters (Pool for Potential Vacancies 2017-2018)
Date Posted: February 17, 2017
Closing date: April 22, 2017 (Testing registration deadline: March 31, 2017)
Job Type: Permanent Full-time
Wage range: $60,713.37 per year (December 30, 2016 rate)
Hours of work: 42 hours per week including evening, weekend and holiday shifts
Start date: 2017 or 2018
How to apply: Register online for your screening appointment with Firefighter Services of Ontario (FSO) at http://fireontario.com/ by clicking on the ‘Registration’ tab.
The registration deadline is March 31, 2017 and the screening date for Collingwood will be April 22, 2017. Upon successful completion of all six (6) screening components in one (1) day, FSO will collect your application materials (application form, resume, and all documents indicated above). The application processing fee is $25. Please be aware that all applications to this competition will be received by FSO and bundled with testing results. All applications must be received by FSO by April 22, 2017. Candidates should bring application materials with them to their appointment. Any questions regarding this posting must be directed to FSO – the Town of Collingwood will not accept any phone calls, emails, faxes or direct applications in this process.
Notes: A checklist of application requirements may be viewed at www.fireontario.com
; requirements include proof of successful completion of the six (6) components of the FSO tests, in one (1) day, dated within six (6) months (tests completed on or after October 15, 2016). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
to confirm your eligibility and submission of your application package. Original copies of certification and training will not be returned. Training and certification must be complete and current to the date of application.
Responsible for the protection of life and property under any and all circumstances, including the most extreme emergencies, any ongoing firefighter training as well as performing other such duties as may be assigned by the Fire Captain. Firefighters perform all firefighting operations as outlined in the NFPA Fire Standards.
Experience and Qualifications
1. OSSD or equivalent
2. Successful completion of the NFPA 1001 Level I & Level II certification or AS&E grandfathering
3. Minimum of three (3) years fire fighting experience (full-time or volunteer)
4. Possess a minimum of a valid Standard First Aid certificate with CPR/AED Level C
5. Possess Police Information Check with results satisfactory to the Town.
6. Possess a valid Ontario driver’s license Class “D” with the “Z” endorsement.
7. Thorough knowledge and skill in the operation, location and application of all firefighting apparatus and equipment
8. Knowledge of legislation including Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Ontario Building and Fire Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Other Federal, Provincial and Municipal codes, regulations, by-laws that may apply to the Collingwood Fire Department, Town of Collingwood Emergency Plan, N.F.P.A., U.L.C., C.S.A. and other standards for firefighting, fire protection, and fire detection.
9. Demonstrated commitment to personal and professional development.
10. Ability to wear and use appropriate safety equipment and clothing.
11. Reside within a Town-determined response time of the Fire Station; specifically, response time from your primary residence to the Fire Station must be less than twelve (12) minutes in non-peak travel hours (this requirement must be met within first six months of employment)