Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act/Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Request Form
Ontario's Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) provides an individual with the right to access records of information, including one's own personal information, under the custody and control of a local government institution. Individuals wanting to submit a formal request for information under the access to information legislation (MFIPPA) may contact the Town of Collingwood Clerk's Department at:
Town of Collingwood Clerk's Department
Becky Dahl, Deputy Clerk
97 Hurontario St., P.O. Box 157
Collingwood, ON L9Y 3Z5
Phone: 705-445-1030 Ext. 3230
Formal requests must be made in writing using the Request Form and accompanied by a $5 application fee and can be mailed or dropped off at the address provided above. In addition to the application fee, you may be required to pay other fees (as listed below). The rules regarding the payment and amount of fees are set out in the Act and its regulations. Payment can be made by cash, debit or cheque by mail or in person at the address provided above.
Basis of the Act
- Access rights are balanced with privacy protection
- All paper documents, computer files, e-mail and other forms of stored data are all considered to be records of the "institution" (i.e. the Corporation of the Town of Collingwood)
- Subject to certain limitations, there is a right of access by the public to records in the Town’s custody and control
- Subject again to certain limitations, the personal information of individuals has to be protected and is not accessible by other individuals
The Town of Collingwood promotes open government and fosters an organizational structure that advances the fundamental principles of the Act:
- Information (general records) should be available to the public
- Individuals should have access to their own personal information
- Exemptions to access should be limited and specific
- The Town should protect the privacy of individuals with respect to the personal information it collects and maintains.
Routine Access to Municipal Government Records
Individuals wishing routine access to municipal government records should begin by contacting the Town of Collingwood at 705-445-1030. You will be connected with the Town department holding the records you are seeking.
The appropriate departmental staff will then determine if the request should be submitted formally under MFIPPA, or if the records will be provided as a routine disclosure. It is important to note that the rules governing access and privacy under MFIPPA apply to both formal and informal requests for information.
General Information Requests
Requests for information about a person other than yourself or about a municipal program or activity are considered "general information requests" and have different fees than for personal information requests. The following fees apply for requests for general information:
|Fees For General Information Requests|
If you are requesting information about yourself, your request is considered a "personal information request". The following fees may apply to requests for your personal information:
|Fees For Personal Information Requests|
|FOI Request Form.pdf||157.16 KB|