BEING A BY-LAW TO ADOPT AN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLAN FOR THE TOWN OF COLLINGWOOD
WHEREAS Section 2.1 (1) of the Emergency Management Act, requires every municipality to develop and implement an emergency management program;
AND WHEREAS Section 2.1 (2) of the Emergency Management Act stipulates the content of each municipality’s emergency management program;
AND WHEREAS Section 14(1) of the Emergency Management Act (the Act) requires emergency management programs conform to regulatory standards, in accordance with international best practices;
AND WHEREAS the Act makes provision for the Head of Council to declare an emergency exists in a community, or any part thereof, and also provides the Head of Council with authority to take such action or make such orders as he/she considers necessary and not contrary to law, to implement the emergency response plan and respond to an emergency;
AND WHEREAS the Act, consistent with Section 242 of the Municipal Act, R.S.O., 1990, as amended, provides for the designation of one or more members of Council who may exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Head of Council during his/her absence or his/her inability to act;
AND WHEREAS the Act authorizes employees of a community to respond to an emergency in accordance with the emergency response plan where an emergency exists but has not yet been declared to exist;
NOW THEREFORE COUNCIL OF THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COLLINGWOOD ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:
1. That an Emergency Management Program be developed for the Town of Collingwood consistent with and in accordance with international best practices as considered by Regulatory Standards established under the Act, including the four core components of emergency management, namely: mitigation/prevention, preparedness, response and recovery;
2. That the Emergency Management Program for the Town of Collingwood shall be consistent with the objectives of protecting public safety, public health, the environment, critical infrastructure and property, and to promote economic stability and a disaster-resilient community;
3. That Schedules A, B, C and D, attached hereto, shall form part of this By-law:
a) Schedule A, being the Emergency Plan for the Town of Collingwood, pursuant to Section 3 of the Emergency Management Act, R.S.O., 1990, Ch.E9, as amended;
b) Schedule B, being a Schedule for the designation of a Community Emergency Management Coordinator;
c) Schedule C, being a Schedule to designate and identify a Emergency Information Officer;
d) Schedule D, being the Community Risk Profile document.
4. That the Town of Collingwood Emergency Management Program shall be reviewed annually by Council, and may be amended from time to time as necessary;
5. That By-law Nos. 04-106 and 2009-111 be repealed upon final passing of this by-law.
6. THAT this By-law shall come into full force and effect on the date of final passage hereof at which time all By-laws and/or resolutions that are inconsistent with the provisions of this By-law and the same are hereby repealed or rescinded insofar as it is necessary to give effect to the provisions of this By-law.
ENACTED AND PASSED this 12th day of December, 2016.