Collingwood Community Clean-up Day
Get involved this Earth Day, Friday, April 22, 2016 and help keep Collingwood clean and beautiful by taking part in the 3rd Annual Collingwood Community Clean-up Day. Gather your friends, family, neighbours, teams, or schoolmates this Earth Day for a community-wide cleaning of Collingwood’s neighbourhood parks, trails, roads, schools, and public spaces.
Assemble a clean-up crew
Identify an area that needs a quick tidy
Register your site here to receive supplies and garbage removal support from the Town.
Don’t have a group or site in mind?
Consider joining one of these efforts:
Harbourview Park, Friday, April 22, 1pm-4pm
Members of Council and the Healthy Kids Community Challenge crew will be leading the litter removal efforts throughout the park. Meet at Harbourview Park behind McDonald's.
Sunset Point, Friday, April 22, 1pm-4pm
Join The Environment Network for a clean-up of Sunset Point Park
Sweep the Street - starting in the morning Downtown Business owners and staff will be sweeping the streets of our historic downtown.
Amphitheatre, Thursday, April 21, 1pm-3pm
Transition Collingwood members will lead the efforts beginning at the North end of Maple Street.
Too busy on April 22nd?
Clean-up initiatives are encouraged over the duration of Earth Week (and anytime really!) and municipal staff will provide garbage removal services throughout that timeframe for all registered clean-ups.
Important Safety Reminders
- Don’t pick up litter or debris on a roadway surface or too close to the road’s edge.
- Do not wade into any body of water to retrieve garbage including streams or creeks.
- Do not climb any steep embankment or ravine side to retrieve a piece of trash. Slopes can be wet, muddy and unstable at any time of the year.
- Ensure your work area is kept clear of obstacles to avoid any trips
Dress for the occasion
- Dress for the weather including proper rain gear or sun protection as the weather dictates.
- Reapply sun protection as necessary.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots to protect feet from uneven surfaces, stones, or glass.
- Wear gloves to protect hands from abrasions, cuts, and chemicals.
- Be sure to bring your own bottle of water and stay hydrated throughout your shift.
- Wash hands before eating, drinking or touching your face.
- Avoid restricting postures or take frequent breaks to avoid any strains.
- Set up a home base location in your clean up area for the large bags, for example near an existing park garbage can. Participants should fill smaller bags, place them into the large bags at the centralized location, and tie the tops when they are full. There is no need to move full large bags.
Watch for and avoid
- Wild animals, animal burrows, insects, hives and nests.Use appropriate insect repellent in areas in which mosquitoes and other biting insects are present.
- Chemicals, dead animals or birds.
- Noxious weeds such as poison ivy and giant hogweed.
- Debris with sharp or rusted edges.
- Glass, barbed wire, needles, pipes. Do not touch or pick up anything you cannot identify or which may be hazardous. Report these locations to municipal staff on site.
- Know what to do in emergency situation including who is in charge, who to call, and the location of a first-aid kit.
For more information call 705-444-2500.
Collingwood Community Clean-up Day is presented by the Town of Collingwood, the Environment Network, the Healthy Kids Community Challenge, Collingwood Downtown and Pitch-in Canada Week.
|Cwd Clean Up-8.5x11-2016.pdf||889.18 KB|